Sunday, November 2, 2008

10.11.08--O! Fall!

Saturday 6pm?

Fall is here. so many indicators, but one that seals the transition: the light. Everything is illuminated in that warm gold that makes everything seem loaded and significant. It doesn't have the glare of summer--that direct light that makes me put on my sunglasses and look away. It's the vividness that I remember from those days of hallucinogens and first love. The clear sky so blue, blown free of stuff by the first of the season's Santa Ana winds.

It all seems a bit dramatic and overly romantic, going on like this, but I offer in my defense: Joni Mitchell's "The Last Time I Saw Richard" came up on my shuffle as I was pulling into the gas station. Her album "Blue" was given as a gift to me by a boyfriend who thought I might like it. So, good instincts on his part. That song, that association, this light...well, I'm a push over for the change from summer to fall.

Another sign of the times: my thought just turned to sewing...

After nearly a month of long work hours and concert travel every weekend, I'm trying to get a handle on my domestic situation a bit. Washed about 6 weekends worth of airport parking lot silt off my car this afternoon (to note: the spot-free rinse offered at the u-wash is anything but spot-free.) Bought hand lotion and toilet paper, did 3 loads of laundry...and my eyes and brain fixated on that light the whole time.

The sun has set now, the sky's softer and I can feel that intoxication of the afternoon lifting a bit. whew.
Also-the Talking Heads "Crosseyed and Painless" from Stop Making Sense is playing. Nothing to shake off a reverie and get a body dancing like this song. :)

**been carrying this intending to send. follow up penned: 11.1.08**

another letter started and not put in the mail. :) this is the first saturday since that weekend i've been @ home and without guests. on the docket: more laundry, dishes (oof. must address these) and a trip to a fabric store downtown. *heart* already done: pedicure.

we had our first rain fo the season this morning. it only lasted about 10 min, but the clouds have stuck around, which is nice.
odd tangent: my thoughts just turned to phil collins. !? i was thinking of a 30 Rock exchange:
"you like phil collins?"
"i have two ears and a heart, don't i?"
which led me to a story my neighbor told me about doing a recording session w/phil c. he said all the engineers wanted phil to play the big drum fill from "in the air tonight" and he did! apparently, the particular sound of the drums was cutting edge stuff when that record was made, so recording people are kind of geeky about it.

ok. when the letter runs from joni mitchell to phil collins (while kate bush is singing from my earphones) it's time to wrap this thing up and head to the fabric store.

ahh saturday. soo soo good. :)

3 comments:

mogomom said...

This one was for me! I got this one! heart heart heart

ms. yvon said...

it was!
have been wanting to clear up that the joni mitchell album was a gift in 1988. upon re-reading this letter it sounded like a recent thing.

mogomom said...

Ok, thanks. that does help clear it up. I thought maybe in your romantic haze you were having a retro moment. Can't wait for the next installment :)
xox