Wednesday, January 5, 2011

crutch-b-gone or: rock, sole, danger!

in mid-october i broke the fifth metatarsal bone in my right foot. it's the long bone connected to the pinky toe. it wasn't horrible or too painful, but it definitely changed my day to day life in small ways. Every two weeks i've been going to the podiatrist, having x-rays taken and looking for signs of healing in them. after four weeks of this i realized just how slow this area is to heal and that i could stop bringing that right shoe with me on appointment days. After 2 1/2 months of my using crutches, yesterday my doctor told me to walk without them. (!) i'm still wearing a fashionable black surgery-shoe with velcro fasteners for another two weeks. i might be able to wear sneakers after my next check-up.
since i've been given the go-ahead to ditch the crutches i decided this is a good time to list some of the things i've missed being able to do while i had to use them.

it is in no particular order. as more things come to me i'm going to add them, but i'll add them to the top so you don't have to scroll down to the bottom to see if anything new has been added.

  • taking walks: haven't taken a walk since october. i've had to drive EVERYWHERE. (think the last walk was to the burger joint w-paul in nyc the day i got hurt)
  • using non-disposable dishes and flatware at work: i gave up using the stuff i have at work b/c i couldn't carry it all back and forth to the kitchen in the next bldg to wash it
  • climbing onto stools: i have 2 lightbulbs in my apt that have been out since oct. b/c i couldn't climb & balance on a stool to change them
  • walking and carrying a coffee cup: the day i realized a travel mug fit in the side pocket of my backpack the world opened up!
  • standing comfortably: i'm happy to give my left hip a break.
  • wearing vintage jackets & sweaters: i haven't worn any delicate stuff since i put a hole in the arm pit of a lavender cashmere sweater the first time i wore it while on crutches.
  • wearing shoes: been limited to wearing sneakers and one boot: my nicer shoes weren't cushy enough to bear all the crutching.
  • doing my laundry
  • putting away things that belong on shelves
  • taking out my garbage without an ordeal
  • going on coffee runs in the afternoon at work
  • riding my bike
  • sewing: i haven't been confident about pulling heavy cartons of fabric out of the closet, and couldn't stand for all the cutting and pressing
  • cleaning my apartment: sweet jesus i can't wait to sweep behind the red chair in the living room
today i used my over-the-shoulder laptop bag to haul my computer to work instead of loading it into my backpack. i also climbed on a stool to pull a nice sweater down off the shelf.

it's a brave new world.

1 comment:

Brian Padian said...

poor e! i picture you in your dark, unswept apartment surrounded by boxes of disposable plates, aching to ride your bike through coffee waterfalls. welcome back to being bi-pedal!! keep it up
xo