Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"been trying to title this for 10 minutes" post

last year i heard that my sister suzie was collecting strips of fabric to make rugs, so i sent her several years worth of fabric strips i had. this was at the start of my house clearing movement, and i was really excited that she could use them.

last night i came home to a package on my doorstep. in it was this small rag rug crocheted by her.

when i pulled this rug from the box i had an unexpected emotional reaction. i chalk it up to these things:
-when i make a gift for someone i spend a lot of time thinking about them as i'm making it. that my sister had me in mind like made me feel loved.
-this rug is made from the fabric i sent her: i recognized every piece as being from quilts i made my brother, my friend nora, my aunt, my friend who isn't aware that i have an unfinished quilt for her in my closet...and the quilt i just finished sunday night, which i am sending to this same sister. also in there: a couple of dresses i sewed, the tail of a plaid shirt i cut off in college.
-and this: the other person to make a rag rug for me was our grandmother. when i was very little, for my dolls. i still have them. familial continuity can be a wonderful thing. :)
i love it. it's so beautiful! i put it in front of this wooden chair in my bedroom. it's where i sit to put my shoes on. but this morning i just sat in the chair in my robe, holding my coffee, with my bare feet on this soft, cushy rug.

3 comments:

BeeKay said...

I love it! And I'm impressed that you can identify every scrap. Just by sight, or also by touch? This is one of the reasons I'd love to make a patchwork quilt someday.

Brian Padian said...

excellent.
nice post title too

mogomom said...

I love this post. I love everything about it.